Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Call me butter...

First of all, I think I'm hilarious! Unfortunately, not all of the kids think so. :) I said today, "Call me butter, 'cause I'm on a roll!" One student said that now in addition to "Uncle Joe" jokes, there are "Mrs. Lambright" jokes. No worries, though because if they make me laugh, I'm happy!

I put a morning text message up on the screen every morning. Today, the last text said to come give me an "H" after they had read it to let me know they had read it. Only 2 kiddos came to me~Alex and Caleb! So, they received a special pencil and eraser. Maybe tomorrow, more will read their morning message... We answered our morning question and worked on our morning choice (the collaboration group worked with play-doh to make pastries, the problem-solving group played Set Game, most of the computer group played ST Math, the artistic expression group is doing different artsy things--some designing fashion, others made more 5-point stars or colored in the coloring books, and the game time group played Operation, Sorry and some other board games). After Art, in meeting, we shared what we like to do when we feel ____. I filled in the blank with anxious or chaotic. Others have a different word for the feeling when they get nervous, worried, scared, out of control... then, I shared my tub of fidget TOOLS (notice I didn't say toys!). Students used these all day to try them out so they can see what they like for those times they feel _____. In Wonder, we are still reading from Jack's point of view and today, Jack really redeemed himself as a true friend to August. Ask your kiddo why. Next, we read independently, visited the library and/or conferenced with me. In Reader's Workshop, we discussed the non-fiction story and two articles we read last week: how they are similar and different and then found the main idea of each. In our writer's notebooks, we made a list of things we wonder about. After lunch, recess and quiet time, we reviewed subtraction with regrouping using base-10 blocks and then practiced and practiced some more. Some others worked on a roman numerals project or with Miss Hanlin on different bases-not our base 10 system of numbers.

1 comment: