Monday, December 4, 2017

Enjoying each other!

We had a good day today. I am cherishing the last few days I have with them before I leave for my surgery. I know it doesn't seem like I'll be gone long but when you tack on winter break, it's going to be 3 1/2 weeks until I see them again! I'm going to go through withdrawal! :) So, since I don't have any lunch time duties this week, they have the option to eat lunch and stay in for recess with me.

In Art, Mrs. Bowers shared that she's having some difficulty because some are not finishing and then she's just not able to get around to everyone. I shared this understanding with them as fractions (because, why not?!) and each student is 1/30. If there are 60 minutes in an hour, each student gets 2 minutes every hour of my time. Now, some need more than 2 minutes and others need less but as we learned earlier in the year, "Fair is every student getting what they need in order to be successful." I think understanding it from this perspective helped them to realize that even though I'd like to devote all my time to each of them, I have to prioritize and help them as needed. In meeting, we shared one thing from our weekend and played category challenge with pets. In read aloud, we are working on digging deeper in our understanding and identifying theme, so we are reading picture books this week to understand theme and author's message/purpose more. Today, we read, Snappsy the Alligator and Faithful Elephants. Hopefully, your child can tell you the themes of these books. We spent a large chunk reading independently and in writer's workshop, we created some boxes and bullets to gather ideas for topics for opinion writing. After quiet time, in Math Workshop, we began by looking at fraction of sets and then split up into 2 groups to continue our understanding so some kiddos worked with Ms. Hanlin in math today. We ended our day working on our brochures.

No comments:

Post a Comment