Monday, April 30, 2018

Whoops! Oh well.

From looking at the dates, I wasn't very good at updating my blog. I'm sorry. I'm getting back into the swing of things with getting to teach everything again. I'm also super busy outside of school with my charity.

Hopefully, your kiddos filled you in on the fun we had last week making games in Math and then playing them while they got to score each other on them as well. We also made dictionary entries for our own names/selves, wrote to some pretty creepy prompts, read and learned about storing and transferring energy using dominos and chain reactions.

Today, we had some word play fun for word study where we tried to find words that began and ended with the same letter. Dante was the winner with this! In The City of Ember, Lina tried to show Lizzie the instructions but she didn't seem to think they were very important...she's made a plan to show them to Doon tomorrow. In Reader's Workshop, we are beginning the Any Book Book Club where we each read a just right book for us and will be able to discuss in a book club type atmosphere. Students are to pick a just right book by Wednesday. In Writing, they are free writing, however, we discussed the non-negotiables of writing as a 4th grader: capitals for proper nouns and the beginning of sentences, ending punctuation, paragraphs and holes on the left! In Math, I taught them the traditional method of multiplication (the way we learned it!) and then they practiced. However, that wasn't the goal of my lesson. I asked them what I did and they explained HOW I taught them: new skill, examples, explanation, practice time, etc. So, they will be planning lessons and teaching math this week! They think this is pretty easy but then I asked them to look at how they would be teaching us a new skill and if they would enjoy learning it this way... back to the drawing board! :) What is your kiddo going to teach the rest of the class?? Then, in Science, we had some discovery time with energy balls. This was so cool! This sparked our discussion on how electricity work. Ask your child-so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment